BBQ shrimp, marinated in a homemade peppery and spicy homemade barbecue sauce, this shrimp recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make over your stovetop.
Glazed with a double dose of bbq sauce, this fantastic shrimp dish serves as a quick and easy appetiser or side dish.
Serve your bbq shrimp with…
- You can load these shrimp on taco shells or buns to make a quick meal.
TIPS TO MAKE the bbq shrimp recipe.
- Use frozen shrimp that has been thawed. Pat dry the shrimp before adding them to the bbq sauce.
- Use oil sparingly, you can slightly char the shrimp leaving the shrimp to cook with the bbq sauce.
- The sauce will reduce and slightly blacken the shrimp, giving them a more intense flavour.
- To reduce washing and workload, use a ziplock bag to marinate the shrimp.
- If you are making BBQ shrimp skewers then make sure to soak the skewers for 15 minutes before threading the shrimp on them.
Frequently asked questions: BBQ SHRIMP RECIPE.
- Can I use store-bought BBQ sauce?
- Yes, make a few adjustments to your store-bought sauce for maximum flavour.
- How long can I marinate the shrimp?
- 1 hour of marinating in BBQ sauce should do. You can also extend the time up to 3 hours.
- Can I grill Barbecue shrimp?
- yes, thread them into skewers for easy handling and grill them over a charcoal or gas grill.
- You can use the extra BBQ sauce to baste the shrimp.
- Can I use frozen shrimp?
- Yes, here’s a guide on how to thaw shrimp.
MORE SHRIMP RECIPES.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE BBQ SHRIMP RECIPE.
To make this shrimp recipe you will need 10 ingredients, including frozen shrimp.
Most of the ingredients used in this recipe will be to make the bbq sauce which the shrimp are smothered in.
- Tomato ketchup
- Honey or sugar
- Lime or lemon juice
- Red chilli powder
- Hot sauce(this can be any of your favourite hot sauces)
- Black pepper powder.
- Salt to season
HOW TO MAKE BBQ SHRIMP.
If you are using frozen shrimp, place the packaged shrimp in a bowl of water to thaw(refer to, how to thaw shrimp correctly above).
Remove the frozen shrimp from the refrigerator 20 minutes before you begin cooking, this gives you plenty of time to thaw, drain and pat dry any water on the shrimp.
To make the BBQ shrimp, add all the ingredients needed for the sauce into a medium-sized bowl. mix well.
Once the BBQ sauce is made, save a few tablespoons of the sauce and set it aside.
Add the shrimp to the homemade sauce, mix well, cover and let the shrimp marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Refrigerate if the weather is hot and humid.
Once the shrimp has marinated, place a frying pan or skillet over low medium heat.
Pour in the oil and add the shrimp to the pan, saving the marinade to use later in the recipe.
Cook each side of the shrimp until they are about to turn pink. This would take less than 2 minutes on each side.
Transfer the shrimp to a bowl and add the leftover marinade to the cooking pan.
Stir the marinade with the remaining oil on the pan, and reduce it to create a thick glaze.
Once you notice the oil separating from the marinade, toss the shrimp back into the pan and combine.
Let the shrimp char, for 3-5 minutes.
Pour the remaining barbecue sauce over the shrimp.
Combine well to coat them and serve while still warm.
You can garnish this barbecue shrimp with parsley or coriander.
As mentioned above on tips, you can also thread them in pre-soaked bamboo skewers and grill them.
To make the BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce(ketchup)
- 1 tablespoon of honey(substitute with brown or white sugar)
- 3 tablespoons of lime juice(substitute with lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon of paprika powder
- 2 teaspoons of hot sauce(chilli sauce, sri racha etc)
- 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper powder
- Salt to season
To cook the shrimp
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 500g of shrimp(frozen, shell off)
- Chopped parsley or corianfer to garnish(optional)
- If you are using frozen shrimp, place them in a bowl of water to thaw(refer to, how to thaw shrimp correctly above).
- Remove the frozen shrimp 20 minutes before you begin cooking.
- This gives you plenty of time to thaw, drain and pat dry any water on the shrimp.
- To make the BBQ shrimp
- To a medium-sized bowl, add tomato ketchup, honey(substitute with white or brown sugar), lime, red chilli powder, paprika, hot sauce, pepper, and salt.
- Combine well while tasting and adjusting the flavours to suit you.
- Once the BBQ sauce is made, save 2 tablespoons of the sauce and set it aside.
- How to cook the shrimp.
- Add the shrimp to the homemade BBQ sauce.
- Mix well, cover and let the shrimp marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate if the weather is hot and humid.
- Once the shrimp has marinated, place a frying pan or skillet over low medium heat.
- Pour in the oil and add the shrimp to the pan. save the marinade to use later in the recipe.
- Cook each side of the shrimp until they are about to turn pink. This would take less than 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the shrimp to a bowl and add the leftover marinade to the cooking pan.
- Stir the marinade with the remaining oil in the pan.
- Cook over low heat to reduce and create a thick glaze.
- Once you notice the oil separating from the marinade, toss the shrimp back into the pan and combine.
- Let the shrimp char, for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the remaining BBQ sauce over the shrimp.
- Combine well to coat and serve while still warm.
- You can garnish this BBq shrimp with parsley or coriander.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 45Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 44mgSodium 237mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 5g