Blackened shrimp, is an easy shrimp recipe made with an amazing homemade cajun seasoning.
These blackened shrimp can be served for lunch or dinner can be cooked and served within 15 to 20 minutes
Juicy with addictive flavours.
What to serve with blackened shrimp.
- Serve as a quick shrimp side dish.
- Toss and layer the shrimp to make a one-pot meal of blackened shrimp pasta.
- Make some blackened shrimp tacos for dinner.
- A steaming bowl of rice, rice pilau, and Indian garlic fried rice topped with blackened shrimp makes a quick meal.
Side dishes to serve with blackened shrimp
- Potatoe dishes.
- baked potatoes.
- potato au gratin.
- Pineapple salsa.
- Pineapple avocado salad.
- Grilled pineapple.
- Raw cabbage-pineapple slaw..
- Steamed, broccoli.
- Beans sauteed in garlic.
- Sauteed green peas.
- Roasted asparagus.
- Serve on top of some grilled or broiled vegetables(bell peppers, cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, baby carrots and potatoes, and garlic are some great options).
- Mixed greens
- Serve over a parsley and carrot salad.
- Serve over a cabbage slaw or a delicious yet easy mixed green salad..
Tips to make the best-blackened shrimp
- Use medium or large shrimp to make this blackened shrimp recipe.
- Make sure to remove any excess water from the shrimp, you want the oil to sear the shrimp as quickly as possible, wet shrimp will change the cooking process completely.
- Regulate the heat between medium to high to blacken the seasoning.
- Avoid overcooking the shrimp, 3 minutes on each side is adequate to cook the shrimp through.
- Use a large frying pan or skillet to avoid crowding the pan.
- Make sure the shrimp are spread in a single layer.
- Taste the seasoning and make any necessary adjustments you need.
Frequently asked questions: blackened shrimp
- Can I make the recipe ahead of time?
- Yes, this shrimp recipe takes just 20-30 minutes to make.
- So you can either make it 1 hour ahead of serving time or make it a couple of hours ahead of time and heat it at serving time.
- Can I freeze the shrimp dish?
- Once cooked, please avoid freezing, instead refrigerate and consume within 24 hours.
- Can I use frozen shrimp for this shrimp curry recipe?
- Yes, here’s my guide on how to defrost shrimp the correct way. you can also use fresh shrimp.
- How do I clean and devein shrimp to make this recipe?
- Here’s my guide on how to devein and clean shrimp.
More shrimp recipes
Spicy shrimp chilli lime marinade
Ingredients to make the blackened shrimp
To make the blackened shrimp you will need 15(2 optional)ingredients.
Two main ingredients(prawns, oil) and the rest of the ingredients are to make the shrimp seasoning.
As you will notice, most of the ingredients used here are to make the blackened shrimp seasoning in which the shrimp will be marinated before cooking them over a stovetop.
- Prawns cleaned and deveined and tail on
- red chilli powder
- Onions Powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt to season
- Black pepper
- Dried thyme
- Dried Oregano
- A little oil
- Some hot sauce(optional only to add more heat to the shrimp)
- lime juice
- Chopped Parsley(optional)
- Lime wedges(optional)
How to make blackened shrimp
Combine the seasonings
Have all the spices ready to be mixed in a bowl.
Take care on adding salt, you want the seasoning to balance with heat, tang, and a tinge of sourness.
Marinating the shrimp
Have the shrimp cleaned, and deveined with the tail on.
The shrimp should be dry.
Combine the seasoning with the shrimp and let them marinate for at least 15-20 minutes.
Heat the frying pan or skillet over medium heat.
Regulate the heat to avoid oil splatter.
Spread them over a frying pan in a single layer.
And cook them on both sides, make sure to cook both sides for less than 3-4 minutes as shrimp takes less time to cook through.
Serve with any of the side dishes mentioned above.
Blackened shrimp, an easy shrimp dish made with an amazing homemade seafood seasoning.
These shrimp can be served for lunch or dinner. once you marinate them, the shrimp can be cooked and served in less than 15-20 minutes.
- To cook the shrimp
- 3 tablespoons of oil(substitute with butter)
- 500g of shrimp(prawns)cleaned and deveined
- For the seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt to season
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Place all the seasoning in a bowl and combine well.
- Take care on adding salt, you want the seasoning to balance with heat, tang, and a tinge of sourness. set aside.
- Marinating the shrimp
- Have the shrimp cleaned, deveined with the tail on.
- If you are using frozen shrimp, make sure to follow the instructions given on the recipe notes above, on how to defrost shrimp(link given above).
- Pat dry the shrimp with paper kitchen towels to remove all moisture.
- Combine the seafood seasoning with the shrimp and let them marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- If you have more time, an extra 10 minutes will allow the shrimp to absorb more of the seasoning.
- How to cook blackened shrimp.
- Heat the frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Pour in the oil.
- Regulate the heat to avoid oil splatter.
- Use a tong to place the shrimp in the skillet and spread them in a single layer.
- Sear the shrimp for 2 minutes, flip them over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with a few sliced lime wedges.
- Serve with side dishes mentioned above.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 145Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 4mgSodium 289mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 1g
Leave a Reply