Shrimp teriyaki stir fry that only takes 30 minutes to cook and serve.
This seafood teriyaki is easy to make and uses minimum ingredients but packs loads of flavour.
It’s a healthy shrimp stir-fry with a homemade teriyaki sauce that you’ll enjoy.
Flavours in teriyaki shrimp
Wondering what shrimp teriyaki tastes like?
Well, this homemade teriyaki is made of soy sauce, minced ginger-garlic, and sugar.
These ingredients are combined with cornstarch to make a sweet and garlicky sauce that goes well with the sauteed shrimp.
The sticky, mildly sweet teriyaki sauce glazing the juicy shrimp is great to serve as a seafood side-dish or main dish.
This easy recipe is definitely going to be a firm favourite with adults and kids alike.
Serve your shrimp teriyaki stir fry with…
- If you have any leftover rice, mix the shrimp teriyaki stir-fry with some extra sauce into the rice to make a quick meal.
- Here’s a homemade teriyaki sauce recipe to make a large batch of the sauce.
- Top a bowl of rice or cooked ramen noodles and a few spoons of this tasty shrimp stir-fry.
- The shrimp teriyaki with its sweet and spicy flavour can be used as a filling for tacos and wraps as well.
- Make sure to add a few extra elements to it some crunch and spice.
- Top a bowl of rice with the shrimp dish with some extra stir-fried vegetables.
- This shrimp teriyaki with its sweet flavour can be used as a filling for tacos and wraps as well, make sure to add a few extra elements to give it some crunch and spice.
Frequently asked questions: teriyaki shrimp
- Can I make teriyaki shrimp ahead of time?
- You can but for best results, make the teriyaki seafood an hour early.
- If you make the teriyaki sauce a few hours early, all you need to do is toss them in the sauce.
- If you are using frozen shrimp then remove them from the freezer and place them in the cooling section of your fridge.
- Can I use fresh shrimp?
- Yes, you can, but having precleaned, frozen shrimp just makes life a little easier. Here’s a guide on how to defrost shrimp correctly.
- If you are using fresh shrimp then make sure to drain all excess water before tossing them in the sauce.
- How do I clean and devein shrimp to make this recipe?
- Here’s my guide on how to devein and clean shrimp.
More 30-minute shrimp recipes
Ingredients to make teriyaki shrimp
To make the teriyaki shrimp stir fry, you would need 12 ingredients. If you are a regular cook these ingredients are already in your kitchen pantry.
There are only 3 ingredients that you may have to purchase, they are corn starch, mild white vinegar and of course your choice of shrimp.
- Cleaned fresh or frozen shrimp
- Salt to season
- To make the teriyaki sauce
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar( you can substitute with a mild white vinegar)
- Minced garlic
- Minced ginger
- Red chilli flakes
How to make shrimp teriyaki stir-fry
Begin with preparing the shrimp.
Clean, rinse and devein the shrimp.
Sautee the shrimp in oil. cook only until they turn pink, making sure not to overcook them.
Cook both sides.
Once the shrimp are done, transfer them to a separate bowl.
The next step of making the teriyaki shrimp recipe is to make the teriyaki sauce.
How to make the teriyaki sauce
Add the minced ginger garlic to the pan.
Add soy sauce, sugar, and rice vinegar into the pan.
If you prefer heat to your teriyaki sauce then add red chilli flakes to the sauce.
Mix the cornstarch with the water and add to the pan.
Over low heat, cook the teriyaki sauce while continuously stirring.
Optional- as an optional ingredient you can add some ketchup to the teriyaki sauce. This would be totally up to you.
Taste and season with salt. Make necessary seasoning adjustments as per your need.
Once the teriyaki sauce is thick, add the shrimp to the sauce and combine until the sauce glazes the shrimp.
- 500g of cleaned shrimp
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
To make the teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/3 cups of water
- 1/2 a cup soy sauce
- 1/2 a cup of water
- 3-4 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar(substitute with white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon of red chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- If using fresh shrimp, remove the head and shell off the shrimp, leaving the tail on. devein, rinse with water and set aside in a colander to drain excess water.
- If using frozen shrimp, let the shrimp thaw, rinse and drain excess water.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and season the shrimp with salt(1/8tsp) and combine.
- Set aside for two minutes.
- How to make the teriyaki sauce.
- Add cornstarch(1 tbs)to a bowl of water(1/3 cup). stir until you have a smooth liquid. This cornstarch will help to thicken the sauce. set aside.
- Place a saucepan over low medium heat and add soy sauce(1/2 cup), water(1/2 water), sugar(3-4 tbs), rice vinegar(2 tbs. substitute with white vinegar), minced garlic(1 tsp), minced ginger(1 tsp), red chilli flakes(1 tbs).
- Add the cornstarch to the sauce, stir and let the sauce thicken(3-5 minutes).
- Once the sauce has reduced to half and thickened, bring the sauce to a boil and then remove it from the stove and set it aside to cool.
How to cook the shrimp for the teriyaki dish.
- Place a frying pan/skillet over medium heat and add oil(2 tbs).
- Make sure the shrimp are dry and add them to the pan. avoid the shrimp piling on each other and leave space between each individual shrimp.
Cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until they turn pink, making sure not to overcook them.
- Once the shrimps are cooked, reduce the heat to low and pour in the teriyaki sauce over them.
- Combine with the sauce and remove from the stove. taste and season as per your need.
- Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle sesame seeds and serve while warm.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 388Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 353mgSodium 4021mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 0gSugar 17gProtein 42g