Battered shrimp in 45 minutes.
These fried shrimp are coated in an easy batter mix then deep fried until golden and crispy.
The batter for the shrimp results in crispy fried shrimp making them the perfect appetisers or a restaurant-style seafood snack, made right at home.
Served warm with your favourite seafood sauce, the battered shrimp is a party food to please a crowd.
Flavors in battered shrimp fry.
The batter used here to coat and deep fry the shrimp is basic and seasoned only with salt and a pinch of red chilli powder.
Though basic, the shrimp batter has the ideal consistency in which you can dip the shrimp and get an even coating on the shrimp.
Once you deep fry these batter coated shrimp, the only element you need is your favourite dipping sauce to serve them.
SERVE YOUR battered shrimp with…
- Serve with a few wedges of lime.
- Serve with Thai sweet chilli sauce or a cocktail sauce.
- Serve with a bbq sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
- Serve with spicy Thai papaya salad.
- Grilled veggies or corn can be served with the batter fried shrimp.
- Serve with coleslaw, spicy pineapple cabbage slaw, pineapple slaw.
FREQUENTLY asked questions: battered shrimp.
- Can I use frozen shrimp to make these battered shrimp?
- Yes, here’s a guide on how to thaw frozen shrimp, make sure to shrimps are really dry before dipping them into the batter.
- Can I make the batter ahead of time?
- Yes, you can make the batter 4-5 hours ahead of time and refrigerate.
- Take the batter out 10-15 minutes ahead of time when you need to use it.
- Just make sure to mix it well before you dip the shrimp in to it.
More shrimp appetizers.
Ingredients to make battered shrimp.
- Cleaned and deveined shrimp
- Salt to season
- Red chilli powder
- Regular wheat/bread flour.
- Baking powder
- A lightly beaten egg.
How to make batter fried shrimp.
Devein, clean and rinse the shrimp lightly.
Place in a colander and remove all excess water.
Use thick paper towels to pat dry and remove all excess water.
Season the shrimp with salt and set aside.
To make the shrimp batter.
Add all the ingredients needed to make the batter and combine well.
Once the flour mix is ready, you add an egg to the shrimp batter and combine.
Next would be adding water to the batter. this should be done gradually as you don’t want the batter to turn thin.
Once you’ve made the batter for the shrimp to be dipped and fried, we let it rest for a few minutes.
How to coat the shrimp and deep fry.
To deep fry the battered shrimp, it’s important to bring the oil to a certain temperature.
Once this temperature is reached, the oil is ready to deep fry the batter coated shrimp.
how to dip the shrimp in batter and fry.
Stir the batter and then hold the shrimp by the tail.
Dip and run the shrimp through the batter once or twice to coat the shrimp.
Repeat the process of coating the shrimp with batter and add them to the oil.
Make sure to deep fry the battered shrimp in small batches.
Maintain the temperature of the oil while you fry the shrimp.
Deep fry the battered shrimp until they puff and turn golden in color.
Once they are golden, remove the deep fried shrimp and place them in paper kichen towels so they absorb the extra oil.
For best results, serve immediately.
- 500g of cleaned, deveined shrimp
- Salt to season
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chillie powder
- 1 and 1/2 a cup flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1 and 1/ cup water(use as needed, only adding in 1/2 a cup to reach the correct consistency).
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 a cup oil to fry
- If using fresh shrimp, remove the head and shell off the shrimp.
- Leaving the tail on. Devein, rinse with water and set aside in a colander to drain excess water.
- If using frozen shrimp, let the shrimp thaw, rinse and drain excess water.
- Pat dry the shrimp with kitchen paper towels and transfer them to a plate or wide bowl.
- Season with Salt(1/2 tsp) and mix the salt into the shrimp.
- How to make the easy batter to coat the shrimp.
- Use a large wide bowl to mix in the batter.
- Sift flour(1 and 1/2 a cup), corn flour(1/3 cup corn flour), baking powder(1 and 1/2 tsp), salt to season, red chilies powder(1/2 tsp) to the bowl.
- Add a whole or lightly beaten egg(1).
- pour in water gradually(in 1/2 a cup)until the batter reaches the correct consistency for the shrimp to be coated in.
- How to coat the shrimp with batter and deep fry them.
- Place a deep frying pan over low fire and pour in the oil.
- Gradually bring the oil to a low-medium heat(350-375 degrees).
- Or check the temperature of the oil by dropping a little batter into the oil, once the batter floats and turns golden, your oil is ready to deep fry the battered shrimp.
- Stir the batter for a few seconds, hold the shrimp by its tail and dip the shrimp into the batter.
- Make sure to coat the shrimp well by running it through the batter a couple of times and then gently drop the shrimp into the oil to fry.
- Fry the shrimp in batches of three until golden brown.
This would probably take you roughly 3-4 minutes.
Turn the shrimp over for an even fry. Make sure to fry them until they are a deep golden color before you drain it from the oil.
- Once the battered shrimp turn golden, use a slotted spoon to lift the shrimp and drain any excess oil.
- Transfer the battered and fried shrimp on to the kitchen paper towels.
- To serve add them onto a plate while with some cocktail sauce and serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 603Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 30gCholesterol 310mgSodium 1473mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 2gSugar 0gProtein 33g