Indian prawn curry is a prawn recipe made with an aromatic masala(spice paste)cooked into a rich and thick and silky coconut sauce.
The result is a creamy prawn curry which is mildly spiced yet packed with wonderful flavours to enjoy.
What to serve the Indian prawn curry.
- Serve with various rice dishes. here are a few you can try with the Indian prawn curry.
- More vegetarian curries you can pair with the creamy prawn curry.
- Sri Lankan apple curry.
- Beetroot curry.
- Green bean and coconut stir fry.
- Easy eggplant stir fry.
- Eggplant salad.
- Bombay potatoes.
Frequently asked questions: Indian prawn curry.
- Can I make this Indian prawn curry ahead of time?
- You can cook the Indian prawn dish a few hours ahead of time but not a day ahead.
- Shrimp or prawn tastes better cooked and consumed within 24 hours.
- Is the prawn masala curry spicy?
- Not as spicy as you would expect.
- Adding coconut milk or substituting it with blended cashews will make the dish milder than the usual Indian seafood dishes.
- If you are looking for a spicier prawn(shrimp) dish then try the spicy prawn masala dry curry
- Can I use frozen prawns to make this Indian seafood dish?
- Yes, you can, only make sure to thaw the prawns(shrimp) properly before using it to make this dish.
Useful tips for making the Indian prawn curry.
- Make sure to drain any excess water before using the prawns.
- You can use shelled prawns or shrimp as well, the only down-size is that removing the shell while trying to enjoy the prawn dish can be a distraction.
- Make sure not to burn the spice powders as you cook them.
- Constantly taste and season as you need.
- Before you add the shrimp, make sure the prawn gravy is thick and sauce-like for best results.
- Avoid overcooking or cooking the prawn(shrimp)over high heat as this will turn the shrimp rubbery.
Storing/freezing/reheating Indian prawn curry.
Avoid freezing this shrimp curry.
Can be refrigerated and consumed within 48 hours
Reheat over the stovetop with a few teaspoons of water. microwave heating can leave an odour in your microwave.
More Indian shrimp(prawn)curry.
Ingredients to cook the Indian prawn curry.
- To make the prawn masala, you will need.
- Onion sliced thin or chopped
- Ginger garlic paste
- Tomato chopped
- Turmeric powder
- Red chilli powder
- Coriander powder
- Garam masala powder
- Thick coconut milk(substitute with 1/3 cup cashews blended to a powder)
- To make the prawn masala curry.
- Curry leaves can be substituted with bay leaves.
- Cumin seeds
- Garlic cloves chopped
- Water(1 cup)
How to cook the Indian prawn curry.
This is a prawn(shrimp) curry that comes together in 3 main steps.
Onion, ginger, garlic, and tomato, make the base for the next step of adding raw spices like turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, and garam masala.
Adding these familiar Indian curry powders helps form a good spice paste known as a spiced masala.
The 3rd step of making the Indian prawn curry is tempering some onions, garlic, and cumin and then adding coconut milk, bringing it to a sauce with a thick consistency.
This is your heavily spiced prawn masala gravy base.
Once this masala base is cooked transfer it to a bowl.
Next, we temper the curry leaves, chopped garlic and cumin seeds in oil.
And then add the masala paste.
Add water, season and cook down the masala gravy until thick.
And finally, add the shrimp and cook over low heat to soak in all those tempting spices.
The result is a creamy Indian prawn masala recipe so delicious and flavorful.
- For the prawn masala
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 large onion sliced thin or chopped
- 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1/2 a teaspoon of garam masala powder
- 1/3 cup of thick coconut milk(substitute with 1/3 cup cashews blended to a powder)
- To make the prawn masala curry
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 a teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- water(1 cup)
- 500g of prawns cleaned and deveined
- Here is a complete guide on how to clean and devein prawns. prepare the shrimp as instructed and set aside to drain any excess water.
- Place a medium-sized pan over low-medium fire and pour in the oil(2 tbsp).
- Once the oil warms, add the onions(1 large onion, sliced or chopped) and the ginger garlic paste(1 tbsp).
- Cook for a minute until they turn translucent and light golden in color.
- Add the chopped tomato(1 large) and turmeric powder(1/2 tsp).
- Cook and break down the tomatoes as you combine the ingredients.
- Add coriander powder(1 tsp), red chilli powder(1 tsp) and garam masala(1/2 tsp).
- Reduce heat to low and combine the spices.
- Once you have a semi-spice paste, pour in the coconut milk(1/3 cup, substitute with 1/3 cup of cashews powdered).
- Cook for a few seconds and you will have a thick prawn masala sauce(gravy). Set aside to cool.
How to cook the Indian prawn curry.
- Place the pan you will be cooking and assembling the prawn curry over the stovetop.
- Pour in the oil(2 tbsp) into the pan.
- Add the curry leaves(a sprig), cumin seeds(1/2 tsp), garlic(3 cloves sliced), and saute over low heat.
- Make sure not to burn the cumin seeds by constantly stirring and maintaining low heat.
- Saute for 30 seconds.
- Immediately transfer the prawn masala paste you made earlier on to the pan.
- Add water(1 cup), stir with the prawn masala. Taste and season with salt.
- Cook over medium heat until the prawn gravy thickens(about 15-20 minutes) or until you have a thick gravy.
- The prawn gravy should reach the consistency of a sauce.
- Once the prawn masala gravy is thick, add the cleaned prawns(shrimp) into the gravy.
- Maintain low-medium heat. Cook the prawns in the sauce for just under 10 minutes so they don’t turn rubbery.
- Serve the warm Indian prawn masala curry.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 427Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 281mgSodium 1562mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 32g