Sri Lankan-style squid curry or cuttlefish curry. This delicious seafood curry relies heavily on various curry powders and coconut milk to make the gravy in which the squid is cooked.
You may know squid as calamari or cuttlefish which refers to the same species.
Adding the squid rings once the gravy is thick results in soft, spicy, squid without the rubbery texture.
SERVE Sri Lanka squid curry recipe with…
- Serve with any type of rice, here are a few you can pair with the squid curry.
- Other vegetarian curries to serve with squid.
Tips to cook squid curry.
- How to clean squid.
- Almost all seafood stalls carry cleaned squid(calamari).
- You can choose this option or go for frozen cuttlefish rings.
- If you are using fresh squid then this short video on how to clean fresh squid should help you.
- how to choose fresh squid.
- To make sure that you choose fresh and new squid, always pay attention to the outer skin of the cuttlefish, it should still hold a wet texture and have a shiny surface.
- If there is an unpleasant smell around the squid then avoid them.
- If you are choosing frozen squid then please check the date of packaging and expiry date on the pack.
- Cleaning fresh squid.
- If you are using fresh squid then wear disposable gloves while cleaning them.
- If you are living in an apartment, keep all the windows open to remove the lingering smell of cooking squid. it can be strong and slightly unpleasant to some.
- Avoid dumping seafood waste into your garbage bag as it will start to smell after a few hours, especially if you living in a humid country.
- Instead, secure them in a bag and place them in the freezer until garbage collection day.
- Useful information on cooking the Sri Lankan squid curry.
- Maintain low-medium heat throughout the cooking process.
- Make sure the curry gravy tastes balanced before adding the squid rings to cook in the coconut curry sauce.
INGREDIENTS you will need to cook squid curry.
You will need ingredients based on two cooking steps.
The first would be a quick boil of the squid rings.
The second would be to make the curry gravy in which the cuttlefish will be cooked in.
- To boil the squid rings.
- squid cleaned and cut into 1/2″ thick rings.
- Water as needed.
- Ginger-garlic paste, which you can make at home or use a bottle of store-bought ginger-garlic paste.
- Salt to season
- To cook the squid(calamari)curry.
- A sprig of curry leaves(substitute with bay leaves)
- Green chillies(substitute with whatever chilli type you have, even bell pepper would do)
- Ginger garlic paste
- Banana peppers(optional)
- Red chilli powder(substitute with paprika)
- Ground pepper
- Curry powder
- Coconut milk
- Salt to season
HOW TO cook squid curry(cuttlefish curry)
To make the squid curry have all the ingredients ready.
To prepare the squid curry, we do a quick boil of the squid rings in water with ingredients that include, ginger garlic paste, and turmeric.
This is done for a few minutes, just long enough that they are cooked through.
Water is drained and the squid rings are set aside.
The next step in making the squid curry is to make the coconut curry gravy in which they will be cooked.
To make the curry spice base, we first cook onions, ginger garlic paste, curry leaves, green chillies, and cinnamon in oil.
Then add the spice powder to make a coarse spice paste.
Once the spice paste is made, add the coconut milk.
Slow simmer until the colour of the seafood gravy turns dark and thick.
Once the gravy thickens, you can add the squid rings.
Cook for less than 10 minutes while adding spice powders as you need.
Once you are satisfied with the thickness of the gravy and taste, remove the seafood curry from the stove.
And serve with any of the side dish ideas given above.
- to boil the calamari
- 500g of cleaned squid or calamari
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 a tablespoon of garlic-ginger paste(2 cloves of garlic and 1"piece garlic minced)
- Salt to season
- to cook the squid gravy.
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- A sprig of curry leaves(substitute with a bay leaf)
- 2 green chillies split(use any type of chillies you have or leave out to reduce spiciness)
- 1 large onion sliced fine
- 1 tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste( 2 cloves of garlic and 1"piece garlic minced)
- 1-inch piece Cinnamon
- 2-3 banana peppers(though I have used, you can avoid using it)
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper(increase by 1/2 a teaspoon if needed)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 and 1/4 cup coconut milk
How to boil the squid.
- If using frozen squid rings- place them in water to thaw for 15 minutes. remove and drain any excess water from them.
- If using fresh but cleaned squid- then clean and cut them into rings.
- If using whole fresh squid-clean as per the video instruction link given above and cut them into rings. set aside.
- Place a colander in your sink to drain the squid rings once they are boiled.
- Fill a pan with water and bring it to a rolling boil, reduce heat to medium.
- Add turmeric, ginger garlic paste and salt to season.
- Add the squid ring to the hot water.
- Cook for just 2 minutes.
- Once the 2 minutes are done, drain the squid ring immediately into the colander.
How to cook the squid curry.
- Place a medium-sized cooking pan, over low heat and pour the oil.
- Add the curry leaves, ginger garlic paste, onions, green chillies, and cinnamon.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until the onions turn soft.
- You can add the banana peppers if you are using them at this point. cook for a few more minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, pepper powder, and curry powder.
- Combine all the ingredients together until you have a dark, wet spice paste.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stir to combine the spices with the milk.
- Add sugar, taste the squid gravy and season with salt.
- Reduce heat to low and let the gravy simmer for 10 minutes or until the gravy darkens and changes colour.
- Once the gravy thickens and the gravy has been reduced in half, immediately add the squid.
- Cook over low heat for 7 to 10 minutes. during this period of cooking, you can add extra, chilli powder or seasoning to adjust the taste.
- Once the squid curry thickens, remove it from the stove and serve with any of the side dishes mentioned above.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 442Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 339mgSodium 561mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 6gSugar 7gProtein 27g